Catholic Classical Curriculum
Welcome to St. Mark Catholic Classical School! The faculty and staff invite you and your family to explore the distinctive Catholic Classical Education found here. St. Mark Catholic Classical School was formed to be a mission for the parish and support for parents in the raising of Catholic children. Classical education always seeks what is good, true, and beautiful, recognizing that God is truly at the center of everything. We recognize that as humans, we are part of the great story of which God is the author. The curriculum reflects this fact, and the staff joyfully helps to deliver this to the students. The teaching method employed is one that the Church has used and perfected through the ages, all geared toward bringing our students to sainthood.
- The study and development of faith, wisdom, and virtue is at the core of building character in every child, so they may grow fully and with integrity.
- A program of study modeled after the Trivium based on grammar, logic, and rhetoric, engages the natural stages of a child’s development and their desire to learn. It encourages them to rigorously learn fundamental facts and truths, ask questions, think deeply and critically, and effectively communicate what they discover.
- Exposure to excellence and the work of the greatest thinkers, creators, and communicators in history inspires students to great purpose and achievement.
- A curriculum that is integrated (interdisciplinary) and scaffolded (frequent return to concepts and deepening of knowledge and understanding) aids in establishing connections, cementing concepts, and promoting relational thinking.
- The chronological history of Catholic history and Christian anthropology provide the backbone of the curriculum in order to enrich all subject matter and provide perspective and relevancy.
- Emphasis on strong grammar skills provides structure for understanding and conveying knowledge; the foundation for a well-formed intellect and mastery in all subject matter.
We invite you and your family to come and explore the outstanding teaching of our Catholic faith, academics, arts, and service and hope you will join our small community on a journey that nourishes the human soul, inspires the intellect, and is grounded in virtues and values.
God Bless You,
Mrs. Kathryn Palmquist-Keck
Each grade level focuses on a specific time frame in history.
Preschool: Introducing the Bible-Ms. taught by both Eamaer McGuigan/Mrs. McGee
Kindergarten: The Cradle of Civilization Year taught by Ms. Basil
First Grade: The Greek Year taught by Ms. Mawi Sonna
Second/Third Grade: The Medieval Year taught by Ms. Laurie Ledesma
Fourth Grade: The Modern Year taught by Ms. Pauline Storino
Fifth Grade: The American Year taught by Ms. Pauline Storino
Sixth/Seventh Grade: The Christendom Year taught by Ms. Hemmen
Eighth Grade: The New World Year taught by Ms. Yvette Herrera
Prayers in Latin:
Sign of the Cross - In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Glory Be - Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Sritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculrum. Amen.
Hail Mary - Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominu tecum. Benedicta tu I mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen